Chicken Rosa Marina
An easy, but flavorful Greek pasta dish for any occasion. Tender chicken and rosa marina (orzo) pasta mixed with a seasoned tomato sauce.
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 4-6 lbs of chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes in their juice.
- 1 can (8 oz) of tomato sauce
- 16 oz of Rosa Marina or Orzo, cooked halfway
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°.
- Place a Dutch Oven (or oven-safe pot) on your stove and heat up the olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Working in groups, place the chicken into the oil and brown them (2-3 min per side). Set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic into the pot and sauté until soft.
- Stir in the cinnamon, oregano, and paprika. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the chicken back into the pot.
- Pour in the chicken stock, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Stir it all up and bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the mixture is boiling, cover the pot and place it into the oven.
- Bake the chicken and sauce for an hour, or until the meat is tender.
- Add in the Rosa Marina or Orzo. Stir gently and thoroughly.
- Place the pot back into the oven for ten more minutes.
When browning the chicken, you just want a nice sear. You don't have to cook it fully.
It's not ideal to cook the pasta fully, but more put it into hot salted water for 3-5 minutes, then drain and finish cooking it with the sauce in the oven.
I've seen some use lamb or beef in this dish. I'd suggest you cook it all the same way.
You can try to use rice instead of Rosa Marina or Orzo. My suggestion would be to either put uncooked rice in as you're readying the pan for the oven, then bake it to perfection. That or cook the rice separately and then stir it in later.
Best way to serve Chicken Rosa Marina is with some kind of grated cheese on top. Grated Parmesan, Romano, or even kefalograviera are ideal choices.