A zesty, flavorful coleslaw mainly meant for a Chicken Liver Po'Boy, but it can also sit as a wonderful side for a picnic or barbecue.
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp of cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp of hot pepper sauce
- 1 oz of Italian parsley, minced
- 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of celery seed
- 1/2 lb of green cabbage, sliced thinly or shredded.
- 1/2 lb of red cabbage, sliced thinly or shredded.
- 2 oz of thinly sliced green onion
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, parsley, sugar, and celery seed.
- Add in the cabbage and green onion. Stir until all ingredients are mixed and well coated.
- Place the finished slaw in the refrigerator for 2-6 hours before serving.
The idea of letting the slaw sit in the refrigerator before serving is so the ingredients will meld and the seasonings will be absorbed by the cabbage.
If you prefer it more spicy, add more hot pepper sauce or even some cayenne pepper.
If you're making this as a side, you might want to try adding in some diced celery and tomato (seeds removed). If you're using it for sandwiches, then I'd say to follow the recipe, since it's supposed to be the "crunch" of said sandwich.
Healthy It Up
I actually use non-fat mayonnaise in mine. Why add more fat?
Before serving, give the slaw a quick stir. I'll actually drain any water that forms every time I open the container.