Grilled Polenta with Quick Tomato Jam and Goat Cheese
Antipasti goodness from Stephanie. A fresh tomato jam topped with goat cheese set on a bed of polenta. Perfect finger food.
- 3-4 cups of vegetable stock or water
- 1 1/2 cups of cornmeal
- 2 tsp of Kosher Salt
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 2 tbsp of parsley, chopped fine
- 2 tbsp of butter, plus more for pan
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil for grilling
- 2 oz of goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 oz of cream cheese, room temperature
Ingredients for Tomato Jam
- 1 1/2 pounds of ripe tomatoes (on the vine)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp of minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp of ground cloves
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes
- For the tomato jam, core and coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring them to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Stirring occasionally, allow the mixture to simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes until it has the consistency of thick jam.
- Taste and season the jam with salt or additional dried spices then transfer it to a separate bowl to cool.
- Refrigerate the jam until ready to use.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the water and the salt just to a boil. Reduce the heat, slowly whisk in the polenta and season with pepper.
- Continue to whisk until the mixture starts to tighten up, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the herbs, corn, and 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Continue to stir until well combined and very thick.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Liberally butter a sheet pan and cover the bottom with parchment paper.
- Pour the hot polenta in and with a rubber spatula, spread it evenly and smooth out the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 30 minutes.
- When ready to grill, brush the top lightly with oil, then remove the polenta from the pan by flipping it onto a countertop.
- Lightly brush with oil and cut it into squares or triangles.
- Oil and heat a grill pan.
- Grill or pan sear the polentapieces until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Whip the two cheeses together (or blend in a mixer).
- Arrange the polenta on a serving platter. Place in a pastry bag and pipe a small swirl on the top of each serving.
- Spoon a small teaspoon of the tomato jam on top of each cheese piping.