Bastardized Tasso Ham
Not authentic Tasso Ham, but an easy basterdized idea of it for those who can't easily obtain the delicacy.
- 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of granulated garlic
- 2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of onion powder
- 2 tsp of allspice
- 2 tsp of pepper
- 2 tsp of thyme
- 1-2 lbs of cured cooked ham, diced
- In a container you can seal or in a food storage bag you can seal, place all the seasonings.
- Mix the seasonings together.
- Place the ham in the container. Mix to coat all the pieces.
- Place in the refrigerator and marinate for four hours to overnight.
This is obviously NOT traditional Tasso ham, but I felt the flavor did come close to the actual. It makes a nice substitute if you want to trim the fat off this dish or you just can’t get Tasso ham.