Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Hate Brussels sprouts? Fall in love with them with this great recipe from Stephanie.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed, small spouts left whole, larger spouts halved
- Kosher salt or course sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan, 1 turn.
- Next, add shallots to the pan and saute 1 to 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add Brussels spouts and coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble and cover.
- Transfer your pan to the oven and cook 25 minutes, until tender.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer sprouts to a serving dish and top with cooked bacon bits.
I tripled this recipe for my Thanksgiving meal to adequately serve my family. Please note, this recipe yields 4 servings per the ingredients.
Onions can be used to substitute the shallots.
The entire recipe can be performed on a stove top, but the roasting of the brussels sprouts seems to draw out more flavor.