Celebrate all things French with these sweet lemon-flavored cakes. Recipe originally written by Judy Farris.
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2/3 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- Zest of one whole lemon
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and leave in a liquid form. Butter two madeleine pans with some of the butter.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the vanilla and salt until light.
- Stirring constantly, gradually add the sugar. Continue stirring until mixture is thick and pale.
- Add in the flour a quarter at a time, gently folding into the mixture and then stirring the whole mixture until thick and unified.
- Stir in the lemon zest, and then the butter. Fold until mixture is unified.
- Using a tablespoon, place about 1 1/2 to 2 spoonfuls of batter in each mold. The batter should pretty much reach the top of the mold.
- Bake the madeleines for 14-17 minutes, or until you can see the cakes turning golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from pan when possible, allow to slightly cool, but serve warm.
If you have an electric mixer, work to put as much air into the mixture as possible. Believe me the final product will be more fluffy and delicious.
You can substitute orange zest into this recipe for a slightly different flavor.