The Ultimate Veggie Burger
Go meatless with Stephanie's amazing black bean burgers.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1/3 cup green onion tops
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or more to taste
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 avocado, cut into slices
- Place half the beans in bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade. Add remaining ingredients except buns, avocado, and reserved beans.
- Pulse 30 to 40 seconds until mixture begins to hold together.
- Add remaining beans; pulse 3 to 4 times until just mixed.
- Let sit 20 minutes at room temperature for flavors to develop.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties (about 1/4 cup each).
- Spray 12-inch grill pan or grill with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Add patties; cook, covered, 4 to 5 minutes or until browned.
- Spray tops of patties with cooking spray; turn and cook other side 4 to 5 minutes or until browned.
- Serve between buns topped with avocado slices, if desired.
Patties tend to be on the fragile side and can break, so use 2 spatulas for support when you flip them.
For firmer patties, place browned patties on baking sheet; bake 12 to 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Or, for moister patties, serve after grilling.