A much healthier and yet still tasty way to make a burger. Based on a recipe found in Men's Health Magazine.
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1/3 cup of onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 tbsp of worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp of Italian seasoning mix
- 1/2 tbsp of Adobo seasoning mix
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together thoroughly. Use your hands for best results.
- Divide the mixture up into six parts and form into patties.
- Cook them any way you desire.
When I prepare the spinach and onion for the mixture, I’ll puree them in a food processor. If you like things chunky, then go with a knife. I personally like destroying them simply to make them mix better with the meat and oats.
Your mixture might look a big grayish. Don’t worry, this is normal.
Variations are across the board, which is why I removed the cheese from the Men’s Health recipe. Top the burgers with any cheese and/or condiments you like, as well as cook them any way you prefer. Grill them, broil them, bake them, fry them, you get the point.
You can also forget my seasonings and try your own combinations. Just be sure to use the beef, egg, oats, spinach, and onion. One suggestion is to add some low-sodium soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and pepper for an Asian flavor. Top it even with a slice of grilled pineapple.
If you like things spicy, then try some lime juice, chili powder, Adobo, and red pepper.
A Greek-style burger would be to use 1/2 a pound of ground lamb with 1/2 a pound of ground beef, then season with garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Top with feta cheese, tomato, and tzatziki sauce.